NATIONAL PARK SERVICE CELEBRATES 100TH BIRTHDAY
WITH BILL NYE, QUESTLOVE AND U.S. SECRETARY OF THE INTERIOR, SALLY JEWELL
ON MONDAY, AUGUST 22ND
AT BROOKLYN BRIDGE PARK
For the First Time Ever, New Yorkers Work Together to Control the Lights of One World Trade Center’s Spire in Celebration of Centennial Anniversary
WHAT: The National Park Foundation and National Park Service, Bill Nye and Questlove celebrate the 100th birthday of the National Park Service on Monday, August 22nd. In partnership with Brooklyn Bridge Park and One World Trade Center for the celebration, for the first time ever, New Yorkers will work together on a giant digital circuit board to control the color of the lights of One World Trade Center’s spire. The celebration will feature music by Ramblin’ Dan, Questlove and Atlas Genius.
Family-friendly activities during the day include free ice cream from Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory with national park-themed flavors.
The free and public event is part of the #FindYourPark/#EncuentraTuParque movement, which invites people from all backgrounds to discover and share their own unique connections to our nation’s natural landscapes, vibrant culture, and rich history.
Our National Park Foundation and Find Your Park partners will also be hosting interactive stations:
- American Express – and its nonprofit partner Games for Change will host an interactive game experience showcasing the new iOS game Save the Park where you play as a park volunteer and experience the conservation activities that support the national parks. They will also host a special “Smart Parks Game Jam” in which participants will learn the basics of game design and prototype games that encourage people to use technology to interact with parks, showing how games can inspire environmental stewardship and civic engagement. Games will be played by judges and winners will receive prizes provided by Games for Change.
- Subaru of Americawho will be on-site to raise awareness of its National Park Zero-Landfill Initiative, an effort to significantly reduce waste going into landfills from all national parks, while educating attendees on how they can help keep the parks beautiful for another 100 years. To further divert waste from landfills, Subaru will also be collecting soft drink and water bottle caps that will be recycled into a park bench and donated to an organization or park in need.
- The Coca-Cola Company will showcase their partnership with the National Park Foundation and the parks by highlighting the Active Trails initiative. Active Trails promotes getting community members outdoors and active in parks, deepening connections with local communities, and inspiring the next generation of park visitors and supporters.
WHO: Bill Nye (The Science Guy and Centennial Ambassador for the Find Your Park/Encuentra Tu Parque movement), DJ Questlove (Grammy winning artist of The Roots, in-house band for Jimmy Fallon), Atlas Genius (alternative rock band) Will Shafroth (President of the National Park Foundation), National Park Service Rangers, U.S. Secretary of the Interior, Sally Jewell, Ramblin’ Dan & the Freewheelin’ Band, Andia Wilson (NYC trainer and professional athlete), National Park Foundation Find Your Park partners American Express, Subaru of America, andThe Coca-Cola Company as well as New York Park Exchange Partners – One World Trade Center and Brooklyn Bridge Park and Atlas Genius.
WHEN: Monday, August 22, 2016 from 1:00pm—10:00pm
- 1:30 – 3:30 PM– Ice cream social with Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory
- Includes family-friendly activities like sand-art, corn hole, temporary tattoos, games, prizes and learning and interactive stations
- 2:00 – 4:00 PM– Musical performance by kid-friendly band, Ramblin’ Dan
- 4:00 – 5:00 PM – #ParkRx: Prescription to Move! fitness class with NYC trainer and professional athlete, Andia Winslow ?at Brooklyn Bridge Harbor View Lawn **no equipment required and all levels are welcome**
- 5:45 PM – 6:45 PM– Musical performance by Atlas Genius (alternative rock band with new album Inanimate Objects)
- 6:45 PM– Red Carpet with Bill Nye, Questlove, Secretary Jewell, National Park Foundation President, National Park Service representatives and rangers
- 7:45 PM– Opening Remarks with Bill Nye (Centennial Ambassador for the Find Your Park/Encuentra Tu Parque movement), U.S. Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell, Will Shafroth (National Park Foundation President), Regina Myer (Brooklyn Bridge Park President) **there will be risers for photo capture**
- 8:00 – 10:00 PM– Bill Nye, the Science Guy, hosts interactive experience where participants work together to control the color of the One World Trade Center spire and celebrity DJ set by Questlove
Entrance on corner of Old Fulton and Furman Streets
Brooklyn, NY 11201